Sunday, February 7, 2010

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

From Old Glass

IT'S ALIVE!!
From Old Glass



As my first experiment in grafting old glass on new body, I obtained a converter plate from www.kawamall.com, slapped my old Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens on and it just freaking worked. Now, I don't have Auto Focus, nor can I use Shutter Priority or Program/Automatic, but then I learned photography on a Pentax k1000 and a Canon TLb... I was happy to even have a meter on the camera in those days!

Focusing has proven to be a bit tricky, especially when the aperture is cranked wide open. With a lens that bright, the DoF is so shallow, even the slightest bit off with the focus blows the whole shot. The Canon EOS Rebel (or any other digital SLR) offers no usable focusing aids like split screen or micro-prism. Additionally, because the body has no control over the aperture, you have to frame with the diaphragm cranked wide open, then stop down to where you need to be. On the upside, you always have DoF preview.

From Old Glass

The pluses? Damn this thing is sharp!! Big glass rules!

From Old Glass


So my total effective investment? You can find the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 on ebay for $30 to $60 depending on condition, and the adapter plate was $10. Under $100 and you have a lens that will match or even BEAT the quality of a new Canon 50mm EF f/1.4 costing over $300.

Next up... QuantaRay NF Autofocus on a Nikon mount...

No comments:

Post a Comment